Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What does a 1200-Calorie Day Look Like?

I didn't start losing weight until I dropped my calories to 1200 a day. That's pretty low - but not if you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, salads and soups. Then it's actually enough food to satisfy you, plus it's way more healthy than eating lots of refined-flour foods and sugary snack foods.
Of course I LOOOVE sweets and desserts -- but limit them to once a week for now.

I started keeping track of my calories using one of these calorie counting programs. I find Calorie King to be the easiest & fastest.

But what does a 1200-calorie day actually look like?

I know, I know: this is going to look VERY STRANGE to anyone eating a typical American diet!

Breakfast
Do not eat the cork - it's just for reference! 3 oz salmon is a small fillet. 3.5 oz. steamed yam is about half the tuber.
Plus coffee with 1 oz half-and-half: 300 calories.


Morning Snack
Three figs, 6oz strawberries, 1/2 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt = 175 calories

Lunch
Big lunch salad with half a steamed yam, half a bag of baby spinach, tomato, honeydew melon, and cut-up lowfat tofu dog. Dressing is low-fat Galeo's Miso dressing jazzed up with 1 tsp. teriyaki sauce. Total: 250 calories.


Afternoon Snack
Puree of kale soup with pinto beans (homemade) - 125 Calories for 1 1/2 cups
Dinner
Humongous salad with 2 oz steamed salmon, steamed broccoli, raw cuke, snap peas, romaine lettuce. Galeo's dressing added garlic, lemon & a few drops sesame oil. 265 calories.

Dessert
Fresh white nectarine (5 oz) = 65 calories

Final Stats:

Total calories: about 1200. 
35 grams fiber from whole foods.
Plenty of phytonutrients from plant foods.
Omega-3's from salmon.
Calorie-free drinks: Filtered water, iced coffee no sugar, unsweetened iced tea.
Ratios: 23% fat, 23% protein, 54% carbohydrate
Exercise: Brisk walk around the neighborhood listening to RadioLab podcast - 1.25 hrs.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be great if you could do posts like this for more than just one day. I would like to see how you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete